Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.   #1
    Helper
    Helper

xxx
    Client troubleshooting guide

Recently I have been helping out a lot of people via Skype with issues regarding to their clients. Most people are experiencing the same issues and therefore I think writing a small handbook for fixing most of these errors would be very helpful. Please note that while this might help a bunch of people it is not always the case. Are you still experiencing issues after trying all those steps, please consider to open a new topic in this section (mention that you already followed all these steps) or send me a private message in which we can discuss the problems. The way this is guide is written that it's basically a step through every problem which can occur, beginning from very basic until more complex. Any comments or additions to the guide would be more then welcome! Enjoy reading!

Windows troubleshooting

Step1: Currently Windows offers two options to run OS-SCAPE, either via a Windows installer or via the direct launcher. I would always advise to use the direct launcher but either is fine. Please see https://www.os-scape.com/download and make sure you have downloaded and tried out both clients to see whether or not one of the two works. If both fail to work - please continue.

Step2:​ Most issues with the clients resolve around Java, the programming language in which OS-SCAPE is written. Please do the following things:
    • First, please download the JAVA cleanup/uninstall tool via https://www.java.com/en/download/uninstalltool.jsp and run this on your Windows computer. This tool will remove all old and unneccesary JAVA installations.
    • Next, download the newest version of JAVA via https://www.java.com/en/download/ and install this on your Windows computer.
    • Please try running the Windows launcher and the direct launcher file again. If this fixes your problems, good job! Otherwise.. continue to step 3

Step3:​ Now it is clear that we really installed JAVA and also the clients. So we first have to check whether or not JAVA is correctly installed, and more importantly, if your system "treats" JAVA as it should be. Open a command-line Window (on newer versions this can be done by typing in "cmd" in search bar at your Windows icon, otherwise please google how to). Please type "java -version" (without the ") in the command-line Window and hit enter. If JAVA is correctly installed, you will see something like this (do not exactly look at version etc). If this is what you are seeing, please move to step 4.

If your not seeing what I mentioned above, you will probably see something along the lines of;

This basically means that the system currently does not exactly know where JAVA is. Here it becomes a little bit tricky. Open your folder and go to your C:\ disk. If correctly you will see a map called "Program Files" in here (if you are running 64-bits, you will probably also see Program Files (x86)). Open the "Program Files" folder(s) and search for a map called "Java". Open this map and you will probably see a folder either called jdk.... or jre..... Open one of these maps and check if there is a "bin" folder in there. Now copy the location of the bin folder (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin) and do the following steps (this is for Windows 7, generally speaking most Windows versions should have the similar buttons):
    • Right click on My Computer
    • Select Properties
    • Select Advanced System Settings
    • Select Advanced tab
    • Select Environment Variables
    • Select Path under System Variables (Note: There will probably be other values in the path variable. It is really important that you don't delete what's already there. That's why the instructions say to paste the given value at the start of the line -- this means that you don't remove the existing value, you just put java before it. This also fixes any problems you'd be getting if an other version of java is also on the path)
    • Click on Edit button
    • In Variable value editor paste this at the start of the line the location of the folder you just located! (See note above)
    • Click OK then OK again

Now restart your command-line and please try the command of "java -version" again. If done correctly, this should be working now. If not, please create a topic or send me a PM because you have some serious trouble.

Step4: We got one step further as we know for sure JAVA is correctly installed. Please find the location of your direct launcher file - which is called launcher.java (unless you renamed it) and copy the full location (e.g. C:\Users\Public\Downloads\launcher.jar). Now restart your command-line and please execute the following command:

Code:
    java -jar path\to\your\launcher.jar
    Replace path\to\your\launcher.jar with the full location you just found!

If everything goes correctly, your client should be starting - running and not closing. Well done! You did it. Of course it is not nice to run it everytime from command-line so please see Step5 if you want to resolve this problem. If it is still not running, please create a new topic exactly stating what has gone wrong and then we can look at it.

Step5: Running OS-SCAPE everytime from command-line sucks and therefore I've created this nifty tool. You can download this file here. Some browsers/virusscanners might see this as malicious but that's total bullshit. If you do not trust me, please see below in which you can create it for yourself. Save the file in same folder as your launcher.jar file. Now double-click this file and your OS-SCAPE client will start running!

If you want to create the file yourself, please open Notepad and paste the following into Notepad:
    Code:
    start javaw -jar %~dp0launcher.jar %*
    @pause
    Now click File, then Save AS.. Give it the name "OS-Scape loader.bat" and make that Save as type (the box under the file-name) is set to All Files. Now save this file in the same directory as your launcher.jar file is. Go to that directory and double click on the file you just created - your launcher should be starting automatically now!

If something was not clear or was not working as I described please tell me below or open a new topic. I am always willing to help you with your client problems.

Mac OS X troubleshooting

Step1: Currently Mac Os X offers two options to run OS-SCAPE, either via the experimental Mac OS X application or via the direct launcher. I would always advise to use the direct launcher but either is fine. Please see https://www.os-scape.com/download and make sure you have downloaded and tried out both clients to see whether or not one of the two works. If both fail to work - please continue.

Step2:​ Most issues with the clients resolve around Java, the programming language in which OS-SCAPE is written. Please do the following things:
    • First, please download the JAVA cleanup/uninstall tool via https://www.java.com/en/download/uninstalltool.jsp and run this on your MAC OS X computer. This tool will remove all old and unneccesary JAVA installations.
    • Next, download the newest version of JAVA via https://www.java.com/en/download/ and install this on your Mac Os X computer.
    • Please try running the direct launcher file again. If this fixes your problems, good job! Otherwise.. continue to step 3

Step3: If you are experiencing issues with double-clicking your direct launcher file then probably your system does not recognize this as a JAVA application and therefore uses other software to open this type of file. Please do the following things:
    • Right-Click the .jar file and select Open With -> Other
    • Browse to /System/Library/CoreServices and select Jar Launcher.app
    • Select the app, and make sure you set it to "Always Open With"

Now double-click the launcher file and hopefully it opens, otherwise please continue to step 4.

Step4: The last thing we can do is try to launch the client from the terminal within Mac OS X. This is the most straightforward thing to do but it does take the most time. First make sure you know the full location of your launcher.jar file. Then, open up a command line and please type the following:
    Code:
    java -jar Path/To/Your/Launcher.jar
    Now the client should run from the terminal.

[/SIZE]
    Closing remarks
    Please give me any feedback or criticism on the guide on how to improve this.
    Please open up a new topic/reply/private message if something was not clear or was not working. We are always here to help you!

Update log
    v0.1 (10.01.2017): Initial version including Windows troubleshooting
    v0.2 (13.01.2017): Initial version of Mac OS X added - needs revision coming days

--> Last edited by LOEF; 01-13-2017 at 00:26. Reason: v0.2

2.   Thankful Users:

3.   #2
    Administrator
    Admin

xxx
    Pinned

4.   #3
    Developer & Admin
    Helper
    Admin

xxx
    server owner
    Nice guide, that's very helpful of you!
    Please do not direct any support questions to my inbox. My time is scarce and I prefer to focus mostly on new content and game improvements!

5.   #4
    Forum Addict
    Helper
    LegendaryDonator

xxx
    Very well structured and detailed guide, also extremely useful!
    If you need any help do not hesitate to send me an inbox or a pm in game.

6.   #5
    The Witchtrip 愛
    Admin

xxx
    This guide is absolutely brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to type this up!

7.   #6
    Lurk 24/7
    Staff2
    ExtremeDonator

xxx
    You are an absolute legend for this, will be directing all players here. Thank you!

8.   #7
    Donator
    Donator

xxx
    Love you for this loef you've blessed us with this wicked guide

bart exposed

9.   #8
    Helper
    Helper

xxx
    Thanks everyone, it wasn't that much of a deal. Was kind of busy last few days but will update the guide tonight with some minor text fixes, the MAC OS-X version and small extension of the Windows part.

Please let me know if something should be added/modified/deleted!

10.   #9
    #1 Administrator
    Donator
    MasterDonator

xxx
    What a legend
    If you need my assistance do not hesitate to @ me and/or send me an inbox message.

11.   #10
    There's always another way.

xxx
    amazing guide 10/10 well done c:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information