[04/23/2018] Tournament System

Situations

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! As promised, here's the development diary for the tournament system. In this development diary I'll try my best to keep you update-to-date with the progress, as well as share any concept designs I have. As I program this I'll be looking for suggestions and ideas so if you're interested in helping improve the system, please post as much criticism and suggestions as possible.

04/23/2018 - 10:43 AM
Right now the design is pretty basic... I've been working on this for about 13 hours so now and have made some decent progress with the home design and a few other aesthetics. I've mostly been working on the concept design. One thing I struggle with as a developer is lack of planning. I always just.. dive head first into a big project which tends to lead to buggy content that's difficult to make changes to/expand. This time around I'm trying to do as much planning and debugging as possible. I think the design is pretty cool.. what my idea is.. instead of having just one PVP tournament every 2 hours, we'd have 3 different tournament styles, PVP (with different fighting styles), deadman mode and last man standing, which are cycled every 2 hours. I've been up for 23 hours now so it's a little hard for me to explain but I think you get the jist of it. If there's confusion I'll elaborate after I catch some Zzz's.

Before I get into the concept design for the different tournament styles, rewards, and any other relevant information, here's some media of the home design. Again, if you have any suggestions or ideas please share them! I'd love to hear any feedback you guys have.

I decided to replace the house west of Edgeville bank with a PvP-feeling area. I tried to keep it as close to an OSRS design as possible. I know a lot of you aren't super thrilled with that RSPSy feel so I figured this was a good compromise.

This area right here is the waiting room. Once the tournament inscription is open, players interested in joining the tournament will be able to climb over the fallen spikes or for quality of life purposes, simply just type ::jointournament.

When the inscription opens, a message will be broadcasted across the server, but for convenience sake, you can also view the tournament board which not only will show you the upcoming tournament times, but will also have an option to view an ingame hiscores for the top competitors for each tournament mode.

One thing I really wanted to focus on was the rewards. I'm not really to sure if I want to give tickets as well as blood money, or.. ya. I mean, rewards are something I'm completely relying on you guys for but I kinda started a design for the reward system. It's pretty basic..
  • First place: 10,000 blood money
  • Second place: 7,500 blood money
  • Third place: 5,000 blood money
  • Unplaced: 1,000 blood money
Depending on the position you're placed, the money will be deposited into the Tournament Rewards bag, which is beside the tournament board. You can pool up as much money in there as you want and withdraw it when you're working the streets. Here's a little .gif of it in action. I'm honestly expecting this to change quite a bit, just depends on your guys feedback.

That's all I really have right now. I'm going to be working on it for probably another 6ish hours before crashing hard as hell. Please provide any feedback you have guys. I'd love to hear your ideas. Thanks for playing OS-Scape dudes.

By the way, I'm not really going for a professional vibe when creating these. I want you guys to kinda.. get in the head of a developer. : )

04/25/2018 - 12:46 AM
Hey guys, here with another update. Today I focused a ton on fixing bugs so I only had about 7 hours to focus on the tournament system. I made some pretty good progress with the arena data. I plotted a total of 127 one-vs-one arenas and the tournament final round arena. Honestly, this was something I was going to avoid until the very end but I figured I'd get one of the hardest parts done first... well not hardest, just time consuming and tedious as fuck.

So what the plan is, players will be teleported out of the lobby area and teleported into an arena with their target. Once the fight is over, the winner will be teleported back into edgeville's waiting area and the loser will be teleported outside of it. They will be able to use the tournament viewer to spectate any fight they wish to. The final fight will be in the "grand arena". I'm hoping to get target selection and everything done tomorrow, then work on spectating fights on Friday.

Here are some pictures of the one-vs-one arenas:

Here is a picture of the grand arena (used for the final fight):

Thanks for keeping in touch! More updates coming soon. As always, thanks a ton for playing and supporting OS-Scape. We hope you're as excited as we are to bring this sucker into the live game.

04/25/2018 - 1:15 PM
Morning dudes! Today I'm going to focus completely on the tournament system so we should get some pretty sick progress today. I started working on 1 of the 3 interfaces I plan on creating for the tournament system. Here's the progress of creating the Tournament Viewer interface:

I started with the grand exchange trade history interface and started making some modifications:

Thanks for all the support guys. More updates coming today so stay tuned. : )

Last edited:
Looks sick, i think the prizes could be made better, obviously we don't want it to make it too good that it ruins the eco but u can make it so that one or a few of the tournaments require you to deposit some money to enter, so the prizes are bigger

If you guys would rather have a larger prize pot, considering this will occur every few hours we may have to consider decreasing the amount of tournaments per day.

But please keep sending up feedback and suggestions.

Last edited:
dope. suggestion would be every 4+ hours this tournament occurs and you could balance out the prize off that. if the tournament is too often I think it'll turn into dead content.
Now suggesting rewards.. Bm is cool, but I think adding a ticket system and a new shop with unique items would be a bonus to participate in this tournament. For example, 1st place is 5 tickets, 2nd is 3, and 3rd is 2, participating players are awarded with 1.

Situations

Administrator
Staff member
04/25/2018 - 12:46 AM
Hey guys, here with another update. Today I focused a ton on fixing bugs so I only had about 7 hours to focus on the tournament system. I made some pretty good progress with the arena data. I plotted a total of 127 one-vs-one arenas and the tournament final round arena. Honestly, this was something I was going to avoid until the very end but I figured I'd get one of the hardest parts done first... well not hardest, just time consuming and tedious as fuck.

So what the plan is, players will be teleported out of the lobby area and teleported into an arena with their target. Once the fight is over, the winner will be teleported back into edgeville's waiting area and the loser will be teleported outside of it. They will be able to use the tournament viewer to spectate any fight they wish to. The final fight will be in the "grand arena". I'm hoping to get target selection and everything done tomorrow, then work on spectating fights on Friday.

Here are some pictures of the one-vs-one arenas:

Here is a picture of the grand arena (used for the final fight):